Saturday, December 11, 2010

Eddie as in Edgy

I spent the first year of my life in Northern California.
Although I was born in relaxed California, I'm not exactly the most relaxed dog. Intelligent, yes. Laid back? Not by a long shot.

My feeling is how do you know for sure that people who approach you aren't out to take your kibble or worse, dognap you? I must say it can do a number on the self esteem of otherwise secure people. They enter my house as self-assured doglovers and leave shaking their head as to how I didn't let them get within five feet of me.

If you didn't know better, you'd think I was abused. But the truth is that I was born this way. The old man has had me since I was eight weeks old and never done a thing untoward to me. I actually went to therapy for a short time when I was about five after I started chasing and nibbling on the ankles of people who came up behind me by surprise. Following therapy, I would always receive a treat whenever strangers approached so that I'd supposedly equate strangers with good things. It worked marginally.

Alas, I've learned to accept myself as I am. And I think Mr. Bill has as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment